Here are just a few examples of some client resources you can utilize. You can also find local resources or other products to assist in your support efforts.
Lap of Love: Pet Loss and Bereavement Resource Line
Call 855-351-LOVE (5683) Monday - Friday. This is a complimentary national hotline available to those that are anticipating or grieving the loss of their cat.
AVMA Compiled Pet Loss Support Grief Counseling
- Chicago VMA 630-325-1600
- Cornell University 607-253-3932
- University of Illinois 217-244-CARE (2273) or 877-394-CARE (2273)
- Michigan State University 517-432-2696
- P&G Pet Care, Pet Loss Support Hotline 888-332-7738
- University of Pennsylvania 215-898-4556
- University of Tennessee 865-755-8839
- Tufts University 508-839-7966
- Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine 540-231-8038
- Washington State University 509-335-5704 or 866-266-8635
The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
Children's Reading List
Meng, Cece, and Jago. Always Remember. Illustrated, Philomel Books, 2016.
- Poll, Van Wendy. Healing A Child’s Pet Loss Grief: A Guide for Parents. Center for Pet Loss Grief, LLC, 2016.
- Potter, Shirl, and Koss, George. Death of a Pet: Answers to Questions for Children and Animal Lovers of All Ages. Guidelines Publications, 1991
- Rigabar, Barbara Bareis, and Chris Sharp. A Rainbow Bridge for Gus: A Story about the Loss of a Pet. Barb Rigabar, 2014.
- Rylant, Cynthia. Cat Heaven. Illustrated, Blue Sky Press, 1997.
- Tousley, Marty. Children and Pet Loss: A Guide for Helping. 1st ed., Our Pals Pub, 1996.
Daily Cat Calendar
Clients can download and print this 12-month calendar to record their cat's ongoing health and status. They can note each day as "good," "bad," or "average" and bring this calendar to their next feline wellness visit. Notable or significant events can be recorded in the "Notes" section beneath the calendar.
Print and display this sign in your lobby to inform other clients that a euthanasia appointment is occurring.
Customizable Sympathy & Anniversary Cards
Note: All cards are provided as an editable PDF to personalize and use at your practice. Each card is formatted for A4-size paper sheets in landscape orientation.
© American Association of Feline Practitioners, 2021