JFMS: The Leading Feline Resource for Small Animal Veterinarians
The Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery (JFMS) is one of the key benefits of membership and one of our proudest achievements to date. Published jointly with the International Society of Feline Medicine by our publishing partner, SAGE, it is the ultimate feline veterinary resource - aimed at all practitioners who see cats, together with researchers interested in driving feline medicine forwards.
The JFMS is published monthly in two formats - our dedicated 'Clinical Practice' issues to assist with day-to-day clinical work, alternated with 'Classic' editions presenting high-quality original research relevant to clinical practice. The AAFP Guidelines are also published in the JFMS.
JFMS attracts readers and authors from around the world and boasts an impact factor of 1.219. It is ranked 43 out of 129 journals in the veterinary sciences category of the citation list, and its website, jfms.com, is viewed by over 280,000 people a year.
A major benefit of AAFP membership is having free, exclusive access to an easy-to-use online portal where you can download full PDF issues of the JFMS, search for specific articles or key words, and access full-text articles.
JFMS Open Reports
The Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports (JFMS Open Reports for short) is a sister title to the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery (JFMS). JFMS Open Reports publishes high quality case reports, short case studies (e.g. 2-3 cases of particular condition) and short communications on all aspects of feline medicine and surgery relevant to clinical practice and the understanding of clinical problems and disease.
JFMS Open Reports is a new "open access journal." In other words, all articles are freely accessible to any reader online. (Note that this is an important distinction from JFMS, which continues as a subscription-/membership-based journal, in both print and online formats. Unlike JFMS, anyone, whether or not they are an AAFP member, can access JFMS Open Reports articles in full.) This online format allows articles to be published rapidly as soon as they have been approved for publication (as there is no print format, no page budget restrictions and no waiting times).
AAFP members receive a reduced Article Processing Charge (APC) for JFMS Open Reports.
Benefits of the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery
- Access on the go or at your leisure - Each issue is available as a single cover-to-cover PDF for download to a mobile device or desktop
- Full and searchable archive - Authoritative, practical, feline-focused information at your fingertips
- Themed issues - "Mini-manuals" on feline neurology, lameness, oncology and infectious diseases
- Video clips - and other supplementary materials online
- Audio Podcasts
- Guidelines articles - Feline-friendly handling, nursing care, feline environmental needs, use of NSAIDs, and more
- A flexible, responsive and fast review process - On average a decision in less than 45 days from submission
- Rapid online publication - Within 20 working days of acceptance
- "JFMS Resident Best Paper Award" - To recognize quality and excellence for early-career authors
For industry partners:
Read more about advertising in the JFMS on the Rate Card.