At the AAFP, we strive to provide you with tools to support the care you provide to cats. Building on the philosophy of our Cat Friendly Practice® Program, we now offer the Cat Friendly Certificate Program for individuals within the veterinary community. By completing the certificate program, you will gain the knowledge you need to enhance your understanding of cats and increase feline standards of care. Whether you are a practicing veterinarian looking to grow your skill set, or a front office manager who would like to create a more feline-friendly atmosphere, the program offers the guidance you need to provide better feline-focused care to clients and patients. This information can be utilized throughout your career and is transferrable to future positions.
Cat Friendly Certificate Program was designed based on the need for specific feline-focused care and continuing education. The program aims to build your knowledge, skills, and best in-clinic practices for feline medicine based on your individual role within a practice. Broken into three certificate categories, the program consists of uniquely designed certificates for a Cat Friendly Veterinarian (CFV), Cat Friendly Veterinary Professional (CFVP), and Cat Friendly Veterinary Advocate (CFVA).
The Cat Friendly Certificate Program explores a variety of feline-specific topics across nine unique modules. Professionals will go through a series of online modules based on their role in the veterinary practice. The benefits of completing this program will allow you to:
- Enhance your ability to fulfill client and patient needs.
- Build confidence in working with cats.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to feline health.
- Help clinics develop talent and understanding of cats.
- Reinforce the important role feline knowledge and understanding plays in the practice.
- Increase ability to showcase feline expertise while contributing to professional development efforts.
- Offer transferable tools and knowledge.
You do not need to be a Cat Friendly Practice® to enroll in the certificate program. Obtaining the certificate will help you learn more about being cat friendly and how to start implementing strategies right away. For our current Cat Friendly Practices®, the certificate will contribute to your continued learning and offer a new way to on-board staff, offer enhanced training, and provide well-rounded cat friendly information.
The Cat Friendly Veterinarian Certificate Program is a one-time enrollment fee and does not need to be renewed. All certificate courses must be completed within 90 days of enrollment.
Cat Friendly Veterinarian (CFV)
- Members: $119
- Non-Members: $229
- Intended only for veterinarians
- 9 Modules and 5 CE hours
Cat Friendly Veterinary Professional (CFVP)
- Members: $79
- Non-Members $129
- Intended for technicians/nurses and others that work directly with cats
- 7 Modules and 3.5 CE hours
Cat Friendly Veterinary Advocate (CFVA)
- Members: $39
- Non-Members $69
- Intended for practice team members including front office, assistants, managers, and others in the veterinary industry
- 4 Modules and 2 CE hours
+ Are there discounts for multiple individuals of a practice that wish to sign up for a certificate program?
- 3-4 individuals: 10% off each
- 5-7 individuals: 15% off each
- 8-12 individuals: 20% off each
- 13-19 individuals: 25% off each
- 20-34 individuals: 30% off each
- 35-49 individuals: 35% off each
- 50 or more individuals: email firstname.lastname@example.org for special pricing
Yes! We invite all students and faculty to sign up for 50% off enrollment rates using one of the two discount codes below.
- Student promo code: CertStudent
- Faculty promo code: FacultyCert
You will have 90 days to complete the modules, which includes watching each module, taking a quiz, and earning a passing score of 80% or greater, in order to earn your certificate. Reduced rate of enrollment is valid for students with .edu email addresses ONLY. Validation is required.
We recommend students that have direct experience in working with cats in a practice setting to take the Veterinary Professional Certificate level, and all others take the Advocate level.
Since these programs were built modularly, there is no need to take more than one. Choose the one that best suits your role in the practice. The Cat Friendly Advocate is intended for practice team members, including front office, assistants, and managers. The Cat Friendly Veterinary Professional program should be taken by technicians and nurses. The Cat Friendly Veterinarian program is designed for veterinarians.
The program has been approved for 5 credits for CFV, 3.5 credits for CFVP, and 2 for CFVA.
- Cat Friendly Veterinarian (CFV) – Modules 1-9
- Cat Friendly Veterinary Professional (CFVP) – Modules 1-7
- Cat Friendly Veterinary Advocate (CFVA) – Modules 1-4
The AAFP gratefully acknowledges the tireless efforts and contributions provided by Kelly St. Denis, DVM, DABVP (Feline) to help make this program come to fruition. We also deeply appreciate the assistance, review, and contribution of specific modules by Ilona Rodan, DVM, DABVP (Feline) and Apryl Steele, DVM.
We thank the following for their help in reviewing and providing input for portions of the program (listed alphabetically):
- Ms. Alicia Artman
- Dr. Hazel Carney
- Dr. Audrey Cook
- Dr. Lauren Demos
- Dr. Robin Downing
- Ms. Alison Gottlieb
- Dr. Ed Kanara
- Dr. Diana Lafer
- Dr. Michael Lappin
- Dr. Susan Little
- Dr. Cathy Lund
- Dr. Michelle Meyer
- Dr. Kathleen Neumann
- Dr. Jessica Quimby
- Dr. Michael Ray
- Dr. Renee Rucinsky
- Dr. Patricia Shea
- Dr. Andrew Sparkes
- Dr. Eliza Sundahl
- Dr. Dana Tatman-Lilly
- Dr. Cynthia Ward
- Dr. Mark Westman